Starting a business is never easy.
Growing a business and breaking through plateaus can be even more difficult.
One of the biggest challenges facing entrepreneurs who seek faster growth is taking action before they “feel” ready.
It’s a common feeling – since much of what we do as entrepreneurs is new.
Since we haven’t done something before, and therefore are unsure of the outcome, we hesitate, seemingly waiting for the perfect moment to take action.
But the truth is, there is no perfect moment, and waiting until you “feel” ready is a huge detriment to your growth and success.
The mantra that has served me well for most of my life is, Just Say Yes!
This was the title of my seventh book and it somewhat of a takeoff on the old adage, jump and learn how to fly on the way down!
In 2001, as a brand new entrepreneur, one of the earliest examples me jumping without knowing how to fly was when I was trying to land my first big client.
It was a large Chamber of Commerce and they wanted me to produce a 16-page newsletter, and they wanted it in color.
All my experience so far was producing black/white newsletters and I did not know how to set up the file using the various Pantone color codes.
To ease my discomfort, I suggested to the Chamber that they could save money with a B/W newsletter, but they insisted on color.
So I said, “No problem, let’s get your first issue going!”
I remember sitting in my car in the Chamber parking lot deliriously happy that I just got my first big customer, and scared to death at the same time that I didn’t know what I was doing!
I called my friend who was a printer and told him that I needed to spend an hour with his designer and in exchange I would give them the print jobs.
He said, “Come on over Jim!”
One hour later, I understood how to select various text and backgrounds and assign them the Chamber’s correct colors.
And just like that, I was a bonafide desktop publisher!!
Throughout my 22 year entrepreneurial journey, whether starting new businesses, creating videos, podcasts, writing books, learning how to sell on stage, and even when I started my coaching business, I had some jitters because in most cases, I didn’t know what to do past the first step.
But I “Just Said Yes” and learned to fly.
Here are three reasons why taking action before you feel ready is important:
- You’ll gain valuable experience: The only way to truly learn and gain experience is by doing. You can read books, listen to podcasts and attend all the seminars you want, but until you actually start doing, you will not make progress. I love the expression, start where you are, work with what have, and course correct as you move forward.
- You’ll build momentum: Starting a business is a lot like pushing a boulder up a hill. It takes a lot of effort to get it moving, but once it starts rolling, it becomes much easier. Taking action before you feel ready will help you build momentum and get your business moving forward.
- You’ll overcome fear: Fear is one of the biggest obstacles entrepreneurs face. It’s natural to be afraid of failure, but if you let that fear hold you back, you’ll never achieve your goals. Taking action before you feel ready will help you overcome that fear and build confidence in yourself and your business.
Finally, there are two things you can do that will significantly increase your chances of success in business:
- Work with a coach or mentor who has a proven track record of success doing what it is you want to do.
- Get in a good mastermind group where you’ll be surrounded by likeminded people who challenge you, cheer you on, and even push you and hold you accountable for progress.
Remember, the only people who feel ready to act, feel ready because they’ve already done so.
There is no perfect moment to make your dreams come true.
The best time to start is now.
Just Say Yes!