Have you ever felt that you are successful, in spite of yourself?
Do you focus on your perceived shortcomings and weaknesses, even when nobody else does?
As you build your business, do you secretly worry that people will find out you that you are not who you say you are?
If you’ve already successful, do you struggle with thoughts, such as, “Well, it’s been a good ride, but I wonder when all of this success will go away?”
These are classic signs of Imposter Syndrome, often referred to as Fraud Syndrome.
Imposter Syndrome is a psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize, accept, and feel good about their accomplishments.
Imposter Syndrome can strike anyone, at any level, and it can significantly short circuit your growth.
At the very least, it can make your new lifestyle far more stressful and less enjoyable.
Not exactly the reason you got into business in the first place!
And, entrepreneurs are one of the largest groups to wrestle with feelings of worth, achievement, and self-esteem.
At its core, Imposter Syndrome is an issue of low self-esteem and self-confidence.
Here are ten ways that you can boost your self-esteem and confidence, and help to kick Impostor Syndrome to the curb!
- Learn not to take yourself so seriously, despite your fancy title!
- Rather than fret about every sales call, learn to enjoy the ride and have faith in your abilities.
- Recognize what you are good at. Everyone is blessed with a unique skill or talent. Use your skill and create a successful business!
- Cut loose any negative relationships in your life. Building a successful business is hard enough without naysayers and doomsayers dragging you down and questioning your every move.
- The flip side of #4 is, surround yourself with positive, growth-minded people. Get in a mastermind group where you’ll be inspired, motivated and pushed to achieve higher levels of success.
- Learn to say “no.” It’s one thing to be “nice” and accommodating, it’s something else to say “yes” to everything at the detriment to your goals.
- Positive affirmations work. Reprogramming your subconscious mind, by saying positive affirmations daily, is an effective way to ‘over-write’ years of negative chatter.
- Honor your commitments, including the commitments to yourself related to healthy eating, exercise, and time off.
- Celebrate your successes, even small ones. Recognize when you reach certain goals you once thought impossible.
- Recognize that success at any level, begins with the courage to take the first step. The very fact you are a business owner means that you took the first step to turn your dreams into a reality. The vast majority of people never take that step. There are far more dreamers than there are doers, so hurray for you!
No matter what you call it: Imposter Syndrome or Fraud Syndrome, left unchecked it will limit your growth and success.
One last piece of advice is this:
Working with an experienced business coach and being in a community of successful entrepreneurs can both help you achieve higher levels of success.
They most likely will get you there faster!