Stick Like Glue Radio #168 On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview entrepreneur, nurse author and veteran, Rick Martinez – creator of the Bink Moment! Among other things you’ll learn about ‘purpose hacking’ and how it can help you. Don’t miss this important show!
Stick Like Glue Radio www.getjimpalmer.com
On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview entrepreneur, nurse, author, and veteran, Rick Martinez – creator of the Bink Moment! Among other things, you’ll learn about ‘purpose hacking’ and how it can help you. Don’t miss this important show!
Main Questions Asked:
- How did the term ‘purpose hack’ come about?
- Give us a background of when you were in the service and your entrepreneurial journey.
- How did the whole ‘Bink’ movement come to be?
- What does the next 3-5 years look like for you?
Key Lessons Learned:
- As an entrepreneur and business owner, it’s important to come up with your own language and have your own phrases.
- A lot of entrepreneurs recognize a need for starting a business after having had a bad experience and think ‘I could do this better.’
- Get up and decide to run the day and not let the day run you.
Starting & Selling His Business
- Rick intuitively noticed some chinks in the armor of placing staff and started his own company to provide a better service.
- The company he started grew to 600 employees.
- The operations of the company had to be handed over during Rick’s tour of duty.
- It was during his time away from the company that he realized the company could operate without him, and he sold the business.
- After selling, Rick found it very lonely. He had access to resources he never dreamt of but was lost and didn’t know what to do next.
Rick’s Bink Moment
- A ‘bink’ moment opens the door to what is next in your life.
- In 2012, Rick was in a weightlifting competition, and 225lbs crushed his right leg.
- He realized something was wrong and made the choice to think ‘what does this mean?’ rather than ‘why me?’
- For certain moments in life the word ‘epiphany’ or ah-ha moment doesn’t work. This was his ‘bink’ moment.
- Sometimes it takes a serious shaking up to take stock of what is going on.
- Rick’s ‘bink’ moment led him to try and find meaning quicker. He also coined the term ‘purpose hacking.’
- We all go through things so we can help and teach others.
- It’s what you do with the lessons you learn that lead to ‘bink’ moments.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review in iTunes!