Stick Like Glue Radio #154 On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview serial entrepreneur and the co-founder of Chicago Digital, Michael Sallander. Michael and his team help entrepreneurs and small business owners build and maximize their online presence. Do not miss this powerful show!
Stick Like Glue Radio www.getjimpalmer.com
On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview serial entrepreneur and the co-founder of Chicago Digital, Michael Sallander. Michael and his team help entrepreneurs and small business owners build and maximize their online presence. Do not miss this powerful show!
Main Questions Asked:
- How did you get started being an entrepreneur?
- Was starting Chicago Digital your first foray into owning a business?
- What is the most important change an entrepreneur can make to their website?
- Did you use FrontPage? Was that the precursor for you learning how to do websites?
- What is Adobe Business Catalyst, and why are businesses using it today?
- Is Adobe Business Catalyst a high level program or something entrepreneurs can run themselves?
- Talk about branding, making money, and building lists with websites.
- How do you advice new clients on how to market, grow, and use their list?
Key Lessons Learned:
- Michael is a 27 year old entrepreneur who has been working in the web space for 14 years.
- Michael started soliciting business in his local area and offering to build small business websites.
- Have your contact information and a strong call to action above the fold. Any visitor should easily be able to find that information.
- The intake process for websites comes down to understanding the business and purpose of the website.
- Some people go in from a designer or developer’s perspective, but you have to look at how it works for your business, sales process, driving new leads, and supporting clients.
- Clients will go to Michael with what they think they want, but need to realize that they are not the experts within the space and understand the end result.
Adobe Business Catalyst
- This is a content management system that is a competitor to WordPress.
- The audience started out as designers, but today is more a developers’ platform.
- This is not a DIY solution as you need to have front-end skills.
- Adobe Business Catalyst is a software as a service model, so you don’t have to set up the servers or back end database.
- From a developer’s perspective, you can take the front end HTML and CSS skills to build complex websites with great functionality on a secure back end.
- Businesses like using it because a lot of the features are already plugged in such as CRN, email marketing, hosting a blog, ecommerce, and customer service tickets.
- The integration saves businesses the cost of having data separate.
Branding, Making Money, and Building Lists with Websites
- Many things go into building a website such as design, UI, development, marketing, social media, SEO, PPC, and remarketing.
- Look at what you need to accomplish, then piece together the objectives on and off the website to accomplish it.
Use of Images
- Having good high-quality images is important, but the size of the image often gets overlooked.
- The load time of websites affects SEO.
- More than 60% of load times for websites are images.
- So much bandwidth and space is being taken up by optimized images. This is a good sign for business owners as this is something they can control.
Links to Resources Mentioned
Click to Tweet
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review in iTunes!