Stick Like Glue Radio #188 On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview author and organizational consultant, Dr. Joanie B. Connell. Dr. Connell is the author of “Flying without a Helicopter: How to Prepare Young Peo-ple for Work and Life” and we talk about parenting and motivating employees! Don’t miss this powerful show!
Download MP3 Stick Like Glue Radio www.getjimpalmer.com
On this special episode of Stick Like Glue Radio, I interview author and organizational consultant, Dr. Joanie B. Connell. Dr. Connell is the author of Flying without a Helicopter: How to Prepare Young People for Work and Life, and we talk about parenting and motivating employees! Don’t miss this powerful show!
Main Questions Asked:
- Are millennials a topic CEOs want to address?
- Do you think the helicopter parenting is becoming more of a problem?
- What are the biggest challenges managers have with younger employees?
- How are parents getting in the way of their children’s success?
- What can parents do to promote resilience?
- Is it possible for busy people to have a work/life balance?
Key Lessons Learned:
- The millennials in the workforce aren’t as resilient, independent, or as skilled at high level communication as previous generations.
- Research shows that millennials have a higher desire to have fulfilling work than making more money.
- Millennials are prone to ‘job-hopping,’ as they are each searching for interesting work.
- Fear and anxiety have grown in society, and people react by protecting their kids.
- Dr. Connell believes that this practice is due to the amount of ‘helicoptering’ happening at home and school.
- Helicopter parenting means that children aren’t learning life skills.
- This practice is continuing to happen with the newest generation, that has yet to be named, those born after 2000.
The Lawnmower Parent
- This term refers to the parents that clear the path ahead for their child so that the kid doesn’t have to run into any barriers.
- This leads to those kids not knowing how to handle situations when they are an adult.
- Generations of children are growing up protected and with problems being solved for them, which ultimately leaves them unable to cope.
Challenges for Managers
- The biggest problem in the workplace is mismatching expectations of different generations.
- Start out understanding expectations from the manager’s perspective and providing a realistic job preview to interviewees.
- Regardless of the level, you need to figure out the needs of the organization and what you want the person to do and if they meet those needs.
Parents Getting in the Way
- Parents are doing things for their kids and trying to create a situation for their child to be successful rather than being in the background and coaching.
- Taking care of problems seems like the right thing to do, but they need disappointment and challenges in order to grow and learn.
- You can’t always get what you want. Kids need to realize this.
- Let kids make mistakes, learn from them, and get better.
- Don’t expect children to be perfect.
- Helping kids make mistakes requires you to empower them.
- Let go so kids can make mistakes, instead of keeping the control.
- Be thoughtful so you aren’t handing over too much power.
- Stand back and be a coach, and don’t take over when things go wrong.
- The more mistakes you make, the more successful you’ll be.
- Work/life balance is often a time management issue.
- This is a matter of thinking about what is important to you and prioritizing.
- Choose a few core things and ask what is stopping you from achieving them.
- By looking at your values and priorities, you can uncover things you can get rid of and focus on the important.
- If you don’t value being healthy, then you won’t be able to perform as well as you want to. This involves a healthy mind and body.
- We often discover we spend more time on unimportant and unnecessary things.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Your Host: Cap't Jim Palmer, The Dream Business Coach
Cap’t Jim Palmer, best known internationally as the Dream Business Coach, is creator of the Dream Business Mastermind and Coaching Program and host of Dream Business Radio – a weekly podcast based on Jim’s smart marketing and dream business building strategies. Claim your FREE Dream Business Transformation now!
Leave A Comment